Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||304 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Movement and place in the African American past --
The transatlantic passage --
The passage to the interior --
The passage to the north --
Four great migrations defined the history of black people in America: the violent removal of Africans to the east coast of North America known as the Middle Passage; the relocation of one million slaves to the interior of the antebellum South; the movement of six million blacks to the industrial cities of the north and west a century later; and, since the late 1960s, the arrival of black immigrants from Africa, the Americas, and Europe. These epic migrations have made and remade African American life. This new account evokes both the terrible price and the moving triumphs of a people forcibly and then willingly migrating to America. Historian Ira Berlin finds a dynamic of change in which eras of deep rootedness alternate with eras of massive movement, tradition giving way to innovation. The culture of black America is constantly evolving, affected by (and affecting) places as far away from one another as Biloxi, Chicago, Kingston, and Lagos.--From publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- African Americans -- History.
- African Americans -- Migrations -- History.
- Slave trade -- United States -- History.
- Slave trade -- Atlantic Ocean -- History.
- Migration, Internal -- United States -- History.
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- History.
- African Americans.
- African Americans -- Migrations.
- Emigration and immigration.
- Migration, Internal.
- Slave trade.
- Atlantic Ocean.
- United States.
User lists with this item (21)
- Recommendations(156 items)
by elfgreen updated about 3 weeks ago
- Speaking of Books(34 items)
by speakingofbooks updated about a month ago
- Africa Beyond the Stereotypes(6 items)
by jhbusto updated 2015-06-06
- African-American History Month - A Nonfiction Book List(130 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2015-02-05
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH(81 items)
by Trecker updated 2015-01-30